Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

FEDERAL RETIRED EMPLOYEE WITH 33 YEARS OF SERVICE, INCLUDING

Customer Question

I AM A FEDERAL RETIRED EMPLOYEE WITH 33 YEARS OF SERVICE, INCLUDING MILITARY DUTY. I HAVE A 50% DISABILITY FROM VA AND GET MOST OF MY MEDICAL COVERAGE THERE. I ALSO HAVE FEDERAL BLUE CROSS.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: IN MARCH I TURN 65, WHAT DO I NEED TO SIGN UP FOR.... A OR A,B OR WHAT?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning.

...

It is strongly recommended that all veteran seniors enroll in Medicare Part A (Hospital Coverage) and usually there is no additional cost. This will allow you receive hospital coverage should you go to a non-VA facility.

...

According to the VA’s website “[We] encourages you to keep your private [Medicare] health insurance.”

...

And, although it's not absolutely necessary, I'd strongly recommended that any veteran senior enroll in Medicare Part B (Medical Coverage, Dr's, other outatient services, etc).

...

There is usually a monthly fee for Part B but it is worth it. If your VA Benefits are dropped at some point OR, and this is important, if your local VA facility does not cover all health services, you could pay 100% out of pocket for a serious illness.

...

The VA highly recommends that you enroll in Part B as well

Expert:  Lane replied 6 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.