Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My wife died 10/1016. when will I get here death benefits, I

Customer Question

My wife died 10/1016. when will I get here death benefits, I know it will be the minimum amount probalby
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have not received the death benefit for my wife passed away on10/10/16,howlong does it take to get the benefits.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I know of
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help you here.

...

First, I'm sorry for your loss.

...

Second, can you tell me whether you're asking about (1) the lump sum benefit or (2) the monthly survivor benefit to which you may be entitled, if her benefit was higher that yours?

...

It's important to understand that while you may be entitled to more than one monthly benefit, these benefits can't be "stack," as social security calls it.

...

They will ALWAYS take you UP TO the higher amount , IF, the new benefit (say a survivor benefit) IS higher than the one you are currently receiving, once you apply FOR that benefit.

...

(they do this by paying a combination of the two benefits that, again, takes you up to the higher benefit)

...

If the benefit you are already receiving is higher than the new benefit, then, so sorry, there will be no increase in your monthly amount.

...

The survivor benefit is the only benefit that you cannot apply for online. You must either go to the local social security office or call the Social Security Call Center.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday.

...

And although the funeral home may have already reported the death, you should call to make sure AND to start the process for filing for the survivor benefit to see if it would increase your monthly amount.

Expert:  Lane replied 5 months ago.

The BEST PRACTICE here is to call the main number (above), find out what documents you may need (such as your marriage certificate) and have the call center set an appointment for you to go into the local office with your documentation.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986