Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Why did I not get the raise?? Other people got the raise,

Customer Question

Why did I not get the raise?? JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best. Customer: Other people got the raise, but I did not. My name is Marylou ********** my SS number is ************. My email is ******************. JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know? Customer: Not that I can think of.

Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

You received a mere .03% raise. However, that amount in dollars, depends on what your 2016 benefit amount was. For lower benefit amounts, the increase from COLA was then wiped out by the increase in medicare premiums. In fact, medicare premium typically increased MORE than you .03% COLA increase, but the law says they can't charge you the whole medicare premium increase if it means your overall SS amount, net of medicare premium, would go DOWN. So, the law made sure your benefit did not go lower, but stayed the same. Without this law, your benefit would have decreased.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you aredone. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!