Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

If I register for my social security her at the office in

Customer Question
Santa Fe in January and...
If I register for my social security her at the office in Santa Fe in January and my birthday is ***** be 66. When do I get my first check? Also what is the limit that I can make if I keep working?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Don't think so. I believethatI know how much that check will be
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/31/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

If you tell them in the application, that you want to start benefits at age 66, although it can take a couple of months (depending on work-load) to get the first check they will always pay you the amount that retroactively gets you back to the amount you would have if you received your first check in the month AFTER your birthday.

...

SSA pays benefits in arrears, meaning that benefits for February will be paid in March.

...

So, for example, if you apply before your 66th birthday (66 being FULL RETIREMENT AGE for those born between 1943 and 1954) ... your first check/deposit SHOULD come in March.

...

If it doesn't get started until April, and lets say that your check amount is $1000 you'll get 2000 in April and 1000 per month thereafter.

...

And because your birthday is ***** 11th and the 20th, your benefit will be paid on the third wednesday (See the attached Calendar.

...

And finally, becasue you won't be receiving EARLY retirement benefit (the reduced benefit that is assigned if you start benefits from as early as age 62 up to age 66, there is NO reduction for working while receiving benefits.

...

This only applies to those who take social security benefits early

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit)

That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS