Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I received my direct deposit of 940.00 and Today Dec. 31st,

Customer Question

My name is***** received my direct deposit of 940.00 and Today Dec. 31st , SS put in another 246.80. Why?? Can you help.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I my om SSDI. I get 1,070 a month minus Medicare - total 940 in bank. What do you need?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I was to receive back benefit payment.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** have been practicing SS LAW full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

When did you last work and earn money?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Williams- Sonoma. 6/2014.

Ah, OK, and when did you file for SSDIB and when did you win an award?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
6/2014
Won case 8/16/2016.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Asking why did I recieved an extra $248.80 This month.

Yes, I know, I am getting there, given your answers. Please bear with me as I am trying to type up the response.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry 246.80 is correct
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you there?

OK, here is what most likely has happened:

Your 2014 income, which tax return, etc. was filed sometime in 2015, presumably, but the numbers don't necessarily get absorbed by SSA til a good year later. That income likely caused your "lifetime" average monthly earnings" while not disabled, to increase. Since your SSD amount is a calculated % of your lifetime average monthly earnings, when that amount rose, and the SSA's recalculation/recomputation process began in 2016, our benefit amount increased accordingly. Your PAST payments, were underpaid, but they SSA had not yet done the recomp yet (they do it for everyone or at least in batches, all at once, once a year, as I understand it). As such, you had an additional 246.80 coming to you because of all those small amounts that were not added in real time, in the past, to your monthly payments from early 2015 to now.

To confirm this, would mean meeting or calling an SSA staffer, but this is generally how it happens.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you
It is so confusing for me
You answered my questions
Happy New Year
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Good- bye.