dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am retired and I rec'd my social security check along with

Customer Question

I am retired and I rec'd my social security check along with my medicare
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I will start working as a care taker for my sister and I will be getting paid from my employer that works with the state of Maryland. I'm trying to find out what taxes they can take out on me since I already get my Social Security check. Can I find out if they are going to be able to take Social jSecurity taxes and Medicare Taxes????
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No, Right now I work 40 hours a week taking care of my sister.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It does not matter if you are receiving any social security benefit or not, as long as you are being paid for services you provide (to your employer or to your sister), your income will be subject to social security and Medicare tax. If you work for somebody, it will be taken out of your paycheck. If you are self-employed (caregiver) you will pay self-employment tax (social security and Medicare tax) when you file you tax return.

The only exception is if you work for a government employer (federal, state or local). Some employers are not required required to withhold social security and Medicare.