How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12009
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to file for SS benefits from my wife who passed Nov

Customer Question

trying to file for SS benefits from my wife who passed Nov 12 . I went to the SS office in pinebluff and waited 3 hours with no help so I am now trying to do thisonthe computer
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: this all I need thanks
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Hi. I can help explain your options here. My name's Lane. I'm sorry for your loss.


You've reached; a website where experts answer questions about everything from finance, to social security law and process, to tax law and procedure.


I'm so sorry, but although worker's benefits and spousal benefits can be applied for online, the SURVIVOR'S (sometimes called widow's or widower's benefit) can only be applied for in two ways:


(1) By Calling the SSA national call center. (By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... OR


(2) Going in to a local office.


What my clients tell me is the best practice, is to first call the phone center (start the process there, and then have them set up an appointment to go into the local office).


You can then go into the office to provided the needed documentation (such as your marriage certificate, and death certificate, if the Funeral home hasn't already done that).

Expert:  Lane replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me

But if this has helped, and you don’t have other questions, I would appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen – and clicking submit) … That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.



I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986