How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a widow and draw retirement from federal government but

Customer Question

I am a widow and draw retirement from federal government but do not draw social security because I did not earn 40 quarters and want to know if I am able to draw benefits from late husbnd
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: my husband died 3 years ago and was drawing social security and some say I should be able to draw some of his benefits
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I'm retired from federal government in 2001 and draw a check from them only I am now 77 years old
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you may still be eligible for widows benefits but because of your federal government pension, your benefits will be reduced by 2/3 of your government pension. For instance if your government pension is $900, your social security benefits will be reduced by $600 (2/3 of 900).

Expert:  emc011075 replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

You can find some examples here: