How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12046
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex husband recently died I was married about 28 yrs am I

Customer Question

my ex husband recently died I was married about 28 yrs am I entitled to any of his ss
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: what would you like toknow
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I took full ss on my earnings at 65
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name’s Lane. … I can help here.

I have a Law degree with concentration in Tax , Estate & Corporate Law, … an MBA, with specialization in finance … a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Please bear with me a moment while I prepare your response

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

First, I'm sorry for your loss.


And yes, although you cannot stack benefits (take his benefit on top of yours), if 100% of his benefit is higher than your benefit, then Social Security will pay a combination of benefits that takes you up TO that higher amount.


TO file, (we cannot file for THIS benefit online). You'll need to call the primary Social Security phone number, 1-***-***-****, OR go into the office (calling to set an appointment first will likely get you in to see someone more quickly that just walking in).


You'll need EITHER to call and send in, or take into the office, the following:


  • Proof of death—either from a funeral home or death certificate;Your Social Security number, as well as the deceased worker's;Your birth certificate;Your marriage certificate, if you are a widow or widower;


Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please Let me know if you have ANY questions, before rating me.

But if this HAS helped, and you don’t have more questions on this, … I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Otherwise I won’t be compensated for the work here.

Thank you!