Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am currently receiving survivor benefits from my deceased…

I am currently receiving survivor...
I am currently receiving survivor benefits from my deceased husband for me and my severely Autistic son, he also gets Medicare as well. I am confused with the possibility of privatization of these two benefits, what would happen if they were to be privatized to me and my sons benefits, I had to leave my job in order to care for him after his fathers death, I do not have any other support system for him. I would not be able to pay into social security or Medicare due to not working outside the home.
11/26/2016
socrateaser, Attorney

At this time, the Republican Congress has no specific plan to end Medicare. All that is known is that Speaker of the House Ryan wants to use private vouchers to pay for what was previously paid for through Medicare. Assuming that the benefits will be the same value, the result cannot be determined, because no one really knows whether or not the voucher system will increase or decrease health care costs.

However, based upon the history of politics in the USA, even if Medicare is abandoned in favor of a voucher system, the government will be forced to increase the value of the vouchers to cover Medicare beneficiaries, because if they are not covered, then they will vote against the Republicans in the next election.

Consequently, the near certain result of the Republican efforts will be a net "no effect" for you and your son.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was also concerned regarding the survivor benefit payments if social security were privatized?

My answer would be the same. The reality of the U.S. political system is that our leaders trade money for votes. The money may be in the form of public benefits or tax cuts -- regardless, the only thing that Congress has to trade for our votes is money or its equivalent. I do not believe that it is possible to reduce benefits for anyone, because the inevitable result would be that any member of Congress who would vote for the reduction would be voted out of office during the next election.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Attorney