How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7147
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person is receiving monthly disability from Social

Customer Question

If a person is receiving monthly disability from Social Security, can that person apply for regular social security at age 66?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The question is not for me, but my sister who is receiving disability benefits and wants to know if those disability benefits will prevent her from receiving regular social security retirement benefits.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 9 months ago.

No. She doesn't have to apply for Social Security Retirement benefits at age 66, her SSDI will automatically change to a retirement benefit when she turns 66 presuming that is her full retirement age. Normally a couple of months prior to the change, she will receive a letter from the Social Security Administration which informs her of the change in classification. It shouldn't affect her benefits; they will stay the same.

Please remember to rate my response.

Steve G.