How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12702
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father has demintia and currently is in a VA nursing

Customer Question

my father has demintia and currently is in a VA nursing home. He currently receives monthly ss payments. He lived with a lady for several years prior to the nursing home but does not have contact with her now. I think his ss is being deposited into a bank account that she controls. My father does not remeber. What is the process of determiniong where his funds are transferring to?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I do not know
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Great Question. Sorry to hear.

I would go to your local social security - you can find your nearest location via the following link:

I am thinking that the nursing home may be receiving it. I would check first with his Social Worker at the home.

Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 11 months ago.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. ***** to You.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The nursing home is not receiving the ss payments. How much did your answer cost me?
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 11 months ago.

I have opted out - it does not appear that you are satisfied with the response. Thank you. Best Wishes to You.

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... a different expert.


Social Security will not release this information unless you petition to become what's called a representative payee


Some of my clients, before contacting me, learned the hard way, that Social Security does not accept a POA (Power of Attorney)


But as next of kin, you have the right to be put on the account as representative payee.


I'm so sorry, but you MUST go to a Social Security office to do this.


If you call 1-***-***-**** you can set an appointment to go in to do this.


You'll need a birth certificate to show that you are the next of kin.

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

You can read all about the representative Payee Program here:



Please Let me know if you have ANY questions, before rating me.

But if this HAS helped, and you don’t have more questions on this, … I would appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

Thank you!


I have a Law degree with concentration in Tax , Estate & Corporate Law, … an MBA, with specialization in finance … a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986