How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15600
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Will I get less in my reported social security if my

Customer Question

Will I get less in my reported social security if my pensions, ROTH, and 401K exceed a certain dollar amount?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: will receive due to the amount of income we will be drawing from the above?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 10 months ago.

If you are younger than full retirement age and make more than the yearly earnings limit, SSA will reduce your benefit.

When they figure out how much to deduct from your benefits, they count only the wages you make from your job or your net earnings if you're self-employed.

SSA will include bonuses, commissions and vacation pay. SSA doesn't count pensions, annuities, investment income, interest, veterans or other government or military retirement benefits.

Taking money out of your retirement accounts does nothing to reduce your benefits.