How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12065
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother has moved from Missouri to Iowa. He is a veteran

Customer Question

My brother has moved from Missouri to Iowa. He is a veteran and we believe he is eligible for more benefits based on the VA information. How do we find out.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My brother receives regular SS monthly benefits. He was told at the VA that if he served during the time of the Vietnam War, which he did, he might be eligible for an increase in his monthly benefits.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: He is now living with us in Iowa and we are in the process of getting his information updated with SS.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help


Yes, it's very possible that he qualifies for something called Veterans aid & attendance.


This isn't done through Social Security. This is done through the VA.


One of the hardest parts (maybe) of getting the application filed is getting his discharge papers.


Another issue is getting it done in a way that doesn't get "kicked back" for errors in completing the form


One of the main objectives will be to show that there is some financial need or medical need. Asking him to pay you rent may be important here.


Any Wartime Veteran​ with 90 days of active duty, 1 day beginning or ending during a period of War, is eligible to apply for the Aid & Attendance Improved Pension. A s​urviving spouse (marriage must have ended due to death of veteran) of a Wartime Veteran may also apply. The individual applying must qualify both medically and financially.

To Qualify Medically:

  • A Wartime Veteran or surviving spouse must need the assistance of another person to perform daily tasks, such as eating, dressing, undressing, taking care of the needs of nature, etc. Blind individuals, patients in a nursing home for mental or physical incapacity, or residents in an assisted living facility also qualify.
  • Eligibility must be proven by filing the proper V​eterans Application for Pension or Compensation.
  • This application will require a copy of DD-214 (see below for more information) or separation papers, Medical Evaluation from a physician, current medical issues, net worth limitations, and net income, along with out-of-pocket Medical Expenses.

To Qualify Financially:

  • An applicant must have on average less than $80,000 in assets, EXCLUDING their home and vehicles.
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Here's the form you'll need:


Finally, the best practice here is to have the VSO (Veterans Service Officer) for your region look hep you with the application. This can go a LONG way in being sure that it doesn't get sent back to your becasue of mistakes.


AND he/she can help you understand fairly quickly whether he would qualify...

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please Let me know if you have ANY questions, before rating me.

But if this HAS helped, and you don’t have more questions on this, I’d appreciate a positive rating (by using those stars on your screen, and clicking submit) … Otherwise JA won’t compensate me for the work.

Thank you,


I have a Law degree with concentration in Tax , Estate & Corporate Law, … an MBA, with specialization in finance … a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986