How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2995
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am turning 65 in January. I currently am working as a

Customer Question

I am turning 65 in January. I currently am working as a contractor and therefore receive my medical benefits from the State of Florida (Florida Blue) through my wife's employment. Do I have to apply for Medicare part B? If I do not will I be penalized when I do? Should I still sign up for part A?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

At 65 you are eligible for Medicare, regardless if you apply for social security benefits or not. If you are collecting any type of social security benefits, you had been automatically enrolled in Part A. Part B is optional.

You do not have to enroll, but if you don't when you become eligible (at 65), you will be penalized later for late enrollment. The penalty is in form of higher premium for few years.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 8 months ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Related Social Security Questions