How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 66 years old and was a stay at home mom for many years.

Customer Question

I am 66 years old and was a stay at home mom for many years. I worked a little before children were born and am working now. My ss income, if I took it now, would be 991.00. My husband just turned 60, and is not planning to retire any time soon. Can I take mine now and then switch to his when he's old enough, or how does that work?
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you can. At full retirement age you can apply for your own full benefits and when your spouse apply for his own, you can reapply for spousal benefits (50% of your spouse's benefits) if higher than your own. Also, once you reach full retirement age you can have unlimited earnings and keep your full benefits, your benefits will not be reduced by your earnings any more.