Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I'm not sure you can but perhaps you can guide me in the

Customer Question
right direction. JA: The retirement accountant...
I'm not sure you can but perhaps you can guide me in the right direction.
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have to move from my mother's house so that we can sell it. I have the entire contents to move on my own. My brother's are part owners by will and I've been sued because I still live here. Can you guide me to a responsible party that can assist in finding a new home?
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: There could be. I'm not sure what to tell you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
11/20/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

From here: https://www.usa.gov/finding-home

...

FHA Loans and HUD Homes

If you're a homebuyer, a Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loan may be a good mortgage choice for you because the requirements are not as strict compared to other loans. The FHA is part of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and also offers HUD homes to purchase.

Reasons to Consider an FHA Loan

FHA loans can make it easier for first-time buyers and others to qualify for a mortgage:

• Cash down payment can be as low as 3.5% of the purchase price

• Your credit score doesn’t need to be high.

• Closing costs may be partly covered or lower than other loans.

Understanding How an FHA Loan Works

FHA doesn’t lend money directly to people. It insures loans against default so FHA-approved lenders can offer lower mortgage costs to qualified borrowers.

To apply for an FHA-insured loan, you will need to use an FHA-approved lender.

HUD Homes

HUD and REO Homes

When homeowners default on their FHA-insured mortgage, HUD takes ownership of the property. It is called either a HUD home or HUD real estate owned (REO) property.

Find Listings of HUD REO Properties

The HUD Home Store is the website for the list of all HUD homes for sale including properties available through the special Good Neighbor Next Door and Dollar Home programs.

The FHA Resource Center

If you have a question or need more information about FHA loans or HUD homes, you can email or call the FHA Resource Center or check their list of frequently asked questions.

Back to Top

Find Affordable Rental Housing

People with low income, seniors, and people with disabilities may qualify for help from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to get affordable rental housing. HUD doesn't own rental property. It gives money to states and building owners, who in turn provide low-income housing opportunities.

Get Personalized Help with Your Search

Find a HUD-approved housing counselor in your area online or call 1-***-***-**** to find a local housing counseling agency. The counselor may be from a non-profit organization approved to offer advice on housing assistance.

Search by Type of Program

There are three main types of affordable rental housing that are supported by HUD:

• Privately owned, subsidized housing that offers reduced rents to low-income tenants. Search for an apartment and apply directly at the management office.
  • Public Housing, which is state-owned, affordable rental houses or apartments for low-income families, people who are elderly, and people with disabilities. To apply, contact a public housing agency in your state.
  • Housing Choice Voucher Program in which you find a rental property yourself, and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency in your state.

If you have trouble contacting your local public housing agency, contact your local HUD field office for help.

If you're a landlord, learn how you can participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program.

Back to Top

Help with Buying a Home

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers a variety of federal programs that may be able to help you purchase a home if you qualify for assistance:

FHA Loans for First-Time Homebuyers

• The Federal Housing Administration (FHA), part of HUD, insures mortgages, making it easier for potential homeowners to afford loans. FHA also offers HUD homes for sale. Learn more about FHA Loans.

Homeownership Vouchers

Indian Home Loan Guarantee Program

• The program also known as Section 184 is a home mortgage specifically designed for American Indian and Alaska Native families, Alaska Villages, Tribes, or Tribally Designated Housing Entities.

Programs for Servicemembers and Veterans

Programs for Rural Residents

State Programs

In addition to all the programs, HUD funds approved housing counseling agencies throughout the country that can provide advice on many housing-related topics, including buying a home. Use this map to find one in your state.

Foreclosure Properties

If you are interested in a foreclosure-related property, reach out to a licensed real estate agent who will be able to advise you on when the property may be available for purchase.

Back to Top

Help with Home Repairs and Modifications

Want to add an addition onto your home? Renovate your bathroom or basement? Learn about programs to help pay for your home improvements, as well as tips on hiring a contractor to do the work.

Find Loans and Other Incentives

The most common type of financial help from the government for home repairs or modifications is through home improvement loan programs backed by the government. The loans are through traditional lenders, like banks, but the programs help these lenders make loans that they might normally not fulfill. Some programs are available on a nationwide basis, while others are only on a state or county level. To learn about the options available to you, contact your local Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) office.

You can also contact your local, state, or county government housing department.

Find out about loans and other incentives for energy efficient modifications in your state.

Assistance for Certain Demographic Groups

Learn about housing programs for the following groups:

Modifying and Repairing Your Home

Finding a good contractor to do repairs and improvements on your home is important. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) provides resources and tips on hiring a contractor, questions to ask, and how to report problems.

Before digging on your property, call 811 to be sure you won't damage or be injured by underground utility lines. Some states allow for an online digging request. Timing is different from state to state with some needing two business days in advance and others need as many as 12 working days even if it is just a small project like planting trees or shrubs.

Back to Top

Help with Rent Payments

Contact the following agencies to find out if you qualify for help with your rent payments:

To find out what other help may be available for you locally, contact your state human/social service agency. Even if you are ineligible for benefits through these agencies, they may be able to provide referrals to community organizations that might offer help. You may also search for and contact community or nonprofit organizations in your area directly for help or referral information.

Veterans

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers the HUD-VASD for homeless veterans. It combines HUD housing vouchers with VA supportive services.

Senior Citizens

The Eldercare Locator is a free service that can connect you with resources and programs designed to help seniors in your area.

Rural Residents

Local Rural Development (RD) offices can help rural residents through the Rural Housing Service.

People with Disabilities

Information on housing options is available through Disability.gov.

Back to Top

Housing Choice Voucher Program (Formerly Section 8)

The Housing Choice Voucher Program, formerly called Section 8, can help you afford housing if you:

• Are very low income
  • Are elderly or
  • Have a disability

If you participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program, you may choose any housing that meets the requirements of the Public Housing Program. Under certain circumstances, the Public Housing Agency (PHA) will allow you to use the voucher to purchase a modest home.

How the Program Works

• The PHA pays the landlord a subsidy directly.
  • You pay the difference between the actual rent and the amount subsidized.

For additional information, visit Housing Choice Voucher Program and find a fact sheet, a list of all program vouchers and services, publications, and more.

How to Apply

Landlords - How to Accept Housing Choice Vouchers

There are certain requirements that you must meet to have your property approved. For instance, your property must:

• Be lead-base approved
  • Have working smoke detectors

HUD provides additional information for landlords, which include fact sheets and regulations.

How to File a Complaint

The office you report your complaint to depends on the nature of the complaint.

• Housing Discrimination - This information explains how to file a housing discrimination complaint by phone at 1-***-***-****, online, or by mail.
  • Office of the Inspector General Hotline - The hotline allows you to report fraud, waste, abuse, or serious mismanagement in HUD or HUD-funded programs from HUD employees, contractors, and the public. Contact the hotline at 1-***-***-****.
  • Multifamily Housing Complaint Line - This line allows you to report complaints with a property's management such as poor maintenance, dangers to health and safety, mismanagement, and fraud. You may contact the complaint line by phone at 1-800-MULTI-70 (1-***-***-****).

Back to Top

Identify and Complain about Housing Discrimination

Housing discrimination happens when a housing provider acts in a way that blocks someone from renting or buying housing because of their

• Race or color
  • Religion
  • Sex
  • National origin
  • Familial status (such as having children)
  • Disability

A housing provider that discriminates against someone could be a landlord or a real estate management company. It could also be a lending institution like a bank or other organization that is an important part of acquiring a home.

Housing discrimination is prohibited by the Fair Housing Act. Discrimination covered by the Act can take many different forms beyond just raising prices or lying about availability. For example, the Act addresses wheelchair access in some newer properties. Learn what the Fair Housing Act covers, how to complain, and how the investigation process works.

File a Housing Discrimination Complaint

If you think you are a victim of housing discrimination,

Discrimination Against LGBT People

The Fair Housing Act does not specifically prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity. But discrimination against someone who is lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) may still be in violation of the Act or other state or local regulations. If you think you've been discriminated against for these reasons, file a complaint as described above, or e-mail HUD at *****@******.*** with general questions about LGBT housing issues.

Back to Top

Public Housing

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) administers federal aid to local Public Housing Agencies (PHAs). Contact your local PHA to see if you qualify for public housing.

Local PHAs establish and manage public housing to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, people who are elderly, and people with disabilities at rents they can afford. Public housing comes in all sizes and types, from scattered single-family houses to high-rise apartments for elderly residents. HUD also furnishes technical and professional help in planning, developing, and managing these developments.

State and federal government agencies jointly handle public housing questions, such as those concerning laws, regulations, sanitation, and safety. Because state governments usually implement the federal housing regulations, HUD recommends that you contact your state housing finance agency for help with these types of questions.

Complaints about a PHA

For more information, including how to lodge a complaint against a local PHA, call the Public and Indian Housing (PIH) Customer Service Center.

Back to Top

Do you need help?

Ask us any question about the U.S. government for free. We'll get you the answer, or we'll tell you where to find it.

And from the Dept of Housing and Urban Development, specifically; Rental Assistance

...

Learn more about renting and HUD rental assistance programs.

Need Help?

• Privately owned subsidized housing - HUD helps apartment owners offer reduced rents to low-income tenants. Search for an apartment and apply directly at the management office.
  • Public Housing - affordable apartments for low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities. To apply, contact a public housing agency.
  • Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8) - find your own place and use the voucher to pay for all or part of the rent. To apply, contact a public housing agency.
  • HUD Resource Locator - search for HUD field and regional offices, local PHAs, Multifamily and Public Housing locations, homeless coordinated entry system points of contacts, and USDA rural housing

Local Renting Information

Need Advice?

Your Rights and Responsibilities

More About Renting

Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD)

• RAD - allows at-risk public and assisted housing to convert to more stable funding platforms.

Lots of information, I know. ... But I'm gpoing to give you one more resource that MIGHT be the BEST place to start... a locator that willl help you find someone to sit down with and get some help tomorrow morning:

...

This locator has only a few main areas (Big Blocks on the locator box)

...

"Find affordable housing near me"

...

Find a HUD Office near me

...

Find my Local Public Housing Authority

...

Find homeless resources near me

...

https://resources.hud.gov/

Please Let me know if you have ANY questions, before rating me.

But if this HAS helped, and you don’t have more questions on this, I’d appreciate a positive rating (by using those stars on your screen, and clicking submit) … Otherwise JA won’t compensate me for the work.

Thank you,

Lane

I have a Law degree with concentration in Tax , Estate & Corporate Law, … an MBA, with specialization in finance … a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS