How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7197
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband just passes away and he had his social security

Customer Question

My husband just passes away and he had his social security checks direcr deposied.
I need to have his social security benefits diect deposied to my checing account.
we were married for 52 years. what doI need o do to have his social security checks dirrect deposited to my checking account
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 11 months ago.

First of all my condolences on the loss of your husband. I know this must be a difficult time for you. It's always hard when you lose a Spouse, especially after 52 years of marriage.

Are you receiving Social Security benefits from your own Social Security earnings record or are you receiving Spousal benefits under your husbands earning record?

At this point, all you have to do is to call Social Security to inform them that your husband has passed away. They will make the appropriate adjustment in your benefits and have them direct deposited wherever you wish, perhaps where your benefits are being deposited now.

You will be entitled to the higher of your husband's full retirement benefit as of his full retirement age your own benefit based upon your own earnings record, but not both benefits.

In many cases the funeral director will notify the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your husband's death, so you may want to check on that before you call the SSA yourself as sometimes the wait on hold on the telephone can be quite long.

If you need to contact the SSA, you may do so at the following number:

Call the SSA toll-free number, 1-***-***-****, between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.