How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I report a death? My husband passed away October 17,

Customer Question

How do I report a death?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My husband passed away October 17, 2016. His name is********** *****. His SS no. is###-##-####
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: Yes, his monthly check was not direct deposited in his account this month. Has it been suspended?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.

Usually, the funeral director will report the person’s death to Social Security.

When a deceased was receiving Social Security benefits , you generally must return the benefit received

for the month of death or any later months.

For example, if the person dies in Oct, you must return the benefit paid in Nov. If received by direct deposit, contact the bank or other financial institution and ask them to return any funds received for the month of death or later. If paid by check, do not cash any checks received for the month the person dies or later.

I think his death was reported by the funeral director and that is why no benefit was sent in Nov.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What happens if my husband and Ib are both receiving social security and now he is deceased. Do I receive his benefit now?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 11 months ago.

To apply for survivor benefits you would have to actually go into your SSA office.

You cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.

If you need to make sure the director reported your husband;s passing, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-**** ( TTY 1-***-***-****). You can speak to a Social Security representative between 7 AM and 7 PM Monday through Friday.

How much you can receive depends on how much your own record allows you to receive.