keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I was told that my Medicare payment would be paid by the

Customer Question

I was told that my Medicare payment would be paid by the state Since July they have been taking it out of my Social Security check How can I get that money back
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was told that I would be penalized for late filing to Medicare I applied in January of this year In July my check dropped from $594.00 to $399.00 I really can't live on that little monthly so how do I go about getting the state to pay the Medicare payment since I was told that I'm eligible
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: OK
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: They pay my husband's Medicare
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

You need to contact your state's Department of Public Assistance in order to straighten out the problem; if you were told you were eligible, you should be able to get an adjustment for the premiums you paid from the date that you were eligible.

If you don't know how to contact the Dept of Public Assistance in your state, if you tell me what state you are in, I can find out where you need to call.

You shouldn't be penalized if they've been taking the Medicare premium out of your Social Security check.