How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7194
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was told that my Medicare payment would be paid by the

Customer Question

I was told that my Medicare payment would be paid by the state Since July they have been taking it out of my Social Security check How can I get that money back
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was told that I would be penalized for late filing to Medicare I applied in January of this year In July my check dropped from $594.00 to $399.00 I really can't live on that little monthly so how do I go about getting the state to pay the Medicare payment since I was told that I'm eligible
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: OK
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: They pay my husband's Medicare
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 11 months ago.

You need to contact your state's Department of Public Assistance in order to straighten out the problem; if you were told you were eligible, you should be able to get an adjustment for the premiums you paid from the date that you were eligible.

If you don't know how to contact the Dept of Public Assistance in your state, if you tell me what state you are in, I can find out where you need to call.

You shouldn't be penalized if they've been taking the Medicare premium out of your Social Security check.

Steve G.