How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7119
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved from RI to Ct and was told by Yale New Haven

Customer Question

I moved from RI to Ct and was told by Yale New Haven Hospital that my RI medicare card number cannot be used. This woman said that I needed a new number from Ct. Is this the correct information?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. I'm just a little nervous that this lady gave me incorrect information.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 8 months ago.

I think she may have been referring to your Supplemental Medicare insurance. You will have to switch that to a CT licensed insurance company that is selling the supplemental insurance in CT.

If for example you have a RI Blue Cross Part B supplemental policy (which covers the 20% of costs which Medicare doesn't cover) and a Supplemental Part D (Prescriptions), then it would normally be a simple matter to transfer to CT Blue Cross with the same or similar coverages.

The same thing would apply if you are in an "Medicare Advantage Plan".

The best way to handle this easily is to call your RI Insurance provider and ask what needs to be done to effect the transfer. This happens all the time so it should be no problem.

Steve G.