How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3441
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away in August, how do I go about

Customer Question

My husband passed away in August, how do I go about receiving the $225 death benefit?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: He passed away August 26th at the age of 72. I am not old enough to receive his monthly soc sec benefits. Just inquiring about the death benefit.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

you will need to do the things that I listed before ... Prove that he has passed and that you are the surviving spouse (regardless of which benefit you are applying for).


Again, this must be done by calling the Social Security Main number OR by going into a local office. You will be asked for documents proving YOUR identity, that you were married (hence eligible for this benefit), and that he has passed.


Many times the funeral home will report the death, but you must still document for Social Security WHO you are (birth certificate, driver's license) and that you were his wife; Marriage Cefrtificate