How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12667
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I draw on my dead husbands social security benefits?

Customer Question

How do I draw on my dead husbands social security benefits?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning Marlene. My name’s Lane.

Looks like no one’s picking this up. I can help here.

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

· Widow or widower, full retirement age or older -- 100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;

· Widow or widower, age 60 to full retirement age -- 71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;

I’m SO sorry, but you cannot report a death or apply for survivors’ benefits online.

If you need to report a death, contact your local Social Security office or call 1-***-***-****.

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Again, so sorry, they don't let you file for this benefit on line (retirement, spousal, and disability can be filed online.).


You'll need a death Certificate, marriage certificate, your identification (such as a drivers license), and they mas ask for something else when you call.


But again, you simply call 1-***-***-**** OR can go to the local field office (but I would call this number to make an appointment first. It will be easier that way)

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Please Let me know if you have ANY questions, before rating me.

But if this HAS helped, and you don’t have more questions on this, I’d appreciate a positive rating (by using those stars on your screen, and clicking submit)

Thank you,


I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with electives in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not very helpful.
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

I have answered your question accurately and thoroughly ... What else can I tell you?


(1) This must be done over the phone or at the local office.

(2) They will ask a plethora of questions in order to prove your identity and your deceased husband's identity

(3) You will need a mariage certificate to prove your marriage, a death certificagte to prove that he has passed


You MUST do this with the help of a Social Security rep (either on the phone at the main call center number which I gave you, OR by going into a local social security field office).


I even showed you the AMOUNT of the benefits.


How else can I help you here?

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Would you like a phone consult so that we can discuss?