ABC Accounting Group
ABC Accounting Group, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Business Consultant/Accounting Manager
89981332

Husband is retiring at the end of Dec. He is applying for

Customer Question

Husband is retiring at the end of Dec. He is applying for Social Security Part D. I am diabetic, insulin-depending, do I apply for SS part D also?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I don't know what more you want to know. I am taking Humalog and lantus
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: My husband has a damaged mitral valve due to childhood disease and takes blood thinners and diltiazem. I understand that we need to apply for Part D medicare, but that part D is not going to cover my insulin. I'm wondering what I should get for prescription coverage for the two of us.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 10 months ago.

Hi. Great Question. Medicaid is one option.

Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) doesn’t cover insulin (unless use of an insulin pump is medically necessary), insulin pens, syringes, needles, alcohol swabs, or gauze.

Medicare prescription drug coverage (Part D) may cover insulin and certain medical supplies used to inject insulin, like syringes, gauze, and alcohol swabs.

AARP has additional information on supplemental insurance:

https://www.aarpmedicaresupplement.com/medicare-insurance/medicare-information-guide.html?

Let me know if you have any questions.