dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

I am business professional with a salary of about $140,000

Customer Question

I am business professional with a salary of about $140,000 annual. I have paid the maximum into SS for the past several years. I will be 64 on December 1 (BD 12.01.1952). My husband will be 70 on 7/1/17 (BD 7/18/1947). He has been drawing SS for several years but it is very minimal because he was self employed and reported low incomes for several years. Is there a point in time that he can draw against my SS earnings? Or is that only if we are divorced?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: not that I can think of. But would also like to know where I can get advise on when would be the optimum time for me to start drawing my SS. That is should I start at 66, or wait till I am fully retired?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  ABC Accounting Group replied 11 months ago.

Hi.

Great Questions. He can draw now on your Social Security - he had to be 62 to do this.

The optimal time for you to collect on your social security would be when you are 70. If you wait until full retirement, 66, you will get 100% of your benefit. If you wait until 70, you will get a little more.