Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I did not get an increase in my Social Security last year or

Customer Question
this year and I have...
I did not get an increase in my Social Security last year or this year and I have worked continually. I know there was no cost of living increase but having worked full time I thought it should reflect in my amount received. Is there a limit to how much one can make in order to show increase in SS?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: Only thing is that my Mother passed away and we had to pay taxes on the house sale. This boosted my income quite more than normal. That is why I am asking if there is a limit to income for increase.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
11/14/2016
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 1 year ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You would only see an increase in your social security benefit after retirement and due to ongoing work if one of the years that you work after retirement are in the top 35 years of earnings of your lifetime.

There is however, no effect that the sale of your mother's home would have had on your social security benefit. And, you did not pay FICA taxes on the sale of your mother's home. At most you paid a capital gains tax. So the great increase in income---to the extent that it was based on the capital gain associated with the sale of your mom's home, would not count toward social security benefits because you don't pay social security taxes on capital gains---even though you do pay other taxes.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please know that I answer your questions in good faith, providing you with the information that you ask for, and I do that with the expectation that you would act likewise, and rate my service to you. Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help, or you are a subscription customer already. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you. So, please do be sure to rate my service to you. Rating is accomplished by clicking on the rating-stars on your page. Thank you in advance for your positive rating.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still not quite sure of your answer. I am 80 years old, still work full time. I began receiving social security at age 65 and have always received increase as continued working. Are you saying that I will no longer get increases except for cost of living from now on? I have not reached the maximum for social security.

What I am saying that all social security benefits are based on a maximum of 35 years of your highest earnings. If you have already worked more than 35 years in your lifetime, then you will only see an increase in your benefits from more work if one of those years that you are now working is in the top 35 of all years that you have worked in your lifetime. Of course, when COLA adjustments are approved by Congress you will get those.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Good evening,

It is possible that your questions and issues might be better served by an in-depth conversation with me. If you are interested, you can request a call by clicking on the "Call Me" button on your page.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? Rating me costs you nothing as you have already paid the deposit for my help. All rating does is ensure that I am paid for my time in working with you.

Thanks in advance for your rating of my service, It is greatly appreciated,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney