How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask annelew12554 Your Own Question
annelew12554, Social Security
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
annelew12554 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I need to report my husbands death to apply for extra

Customer Question

Do I need to report my husbands death to apply for extra help with my prescriptions and my 104.00 premium?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am disabled and receive a monthly benefit amount of $1,153.00 and $51.00 for my husbands death. That is not enough money to pay my expenses and pay the 45.00 co-pay for office visits medications and transportation costs.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I was receiving extra help with my medications. Do I need to reapply for this? Also are you aware of a Medicaid opt pot program?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 11 months ago.


I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  annelew12554 replied 11 months ago.


First I want to tell you how sorry I am for your loss.

Losing your husband means that you also lost his income, so by reporting his death, you are also letting the insurance company, medicaid, etc know that your income has decreased, which means that you may be eligible for more help, so yes, you should report your spouse's death.

You asked about opting out of medicaid, and yes, you can.Please see below:

However, before you opt out of medicaid, you may want to look over this:

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank your for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  annelew12554 replied 11 months ago.

I see that you read my response, but did not yet rate positive.

Do you have follow up questions I can help you with? Do you want/need more information other than the response I provided?

Please remember that it is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you again for choosing justanswer.