keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
30050794

I was just browsing the websites. I turn 65 on March 10th

Customer Question

Hi, I was just browsing the websites. I turn 65 on March 10th and was wondering how much money I would lose if I start collecting before my actual birthdate.
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Well you know, they tell you if you wait until 65 you x amount of dollars,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: Well my company just closed down, so I was wondering if I started collecting now instead of on or after my 65th birthday is ***** much of a difference in the amount I would get.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Stephen, I did not realize I was getting into this situation and am holding my breath that I am not going to be charged any more money than The site already charged my card!!!!! I fear that this message alone with end up costing something. I feel intensely nervous about this and would like to opt out of any further interaction. Thank you .

First of all your full retirement age would be 66, not 65.

At 65 you will be eligible for Medicare.

If you were to start collecting at age 65, your benefits would be reduced by approximately 7.5%

It works out to .0625 less for each month you collect early between that date & age 66.

So at 65 that would be 12 months early so 12 x .0625 = 7.5%

There's no further charge.

I have nothing to do with the charges. I am a user here just like you only I'm a retired CPA.

We can "talk" as long as you like until you get the information you asked for and there would be no more charges beyond what you already agreed to in the beginning.

Further, we offer a 100% no questions asked money back guarantee so if you aren't satisfied, you risk nothing. All that means is I won't receive anything for assisting you today.

So don't worry about being charged anything else.

The main point is that I want you to get the correct information you seek.

Just let me know if you have any follow-up questions & I'll do my best to respond to them also.