LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Why is my military time between 5/17/50 and 1/12/54 and time

Customer Question

Why is my military time between 5/17/50 and 1/12/54 and time between 4/4/54 and 12/31/56 not considered in my Social Security time. It is my understanding that the military paid or credited those times with $160 per month to social security, yet it does not show on my earnings report.
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First of all, from one veteran to another, thank you for your service to our country!

The reason there was no credit for military service in 1950 through 1956 was because the extra earnings which is added to the annual earnings of service members was not begun until 1957.

The following years of military service will qualify for the extra earnings:

• From 1957 through 1967, they will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
  • From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
  • After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug