How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask annelew12554 Your Own Question
annelew12554, Social Security
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2439
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
annelew12554 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is retired and receives his benefits. I am only

Customer Question

My husband is retired and receives his benefits. I am only 54 yrs old and we have a 13 yr old daughter. My daughter and I both receive some money form social security because of my husband. I keep hearing about if you go over a certain amount you are in a lot of trouble. So to begin with I am very scared because I don't want to mess up. If I would go over, which I honestly don't know where I am right now moneywise, it would not be intentional. We lived in North Carolina at the time of my husbands retirement. I work Jan to April of 2016 in North Carolina. We recently moved to Pennsylvania. Mid May of 2016 I started a part time job. I receive commission so I don't know month to month what I will make.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: Am I suppose to calculate what I actually took home in my paycheck when I worked in North Carolina, then add that to what I have been paid here in Pennsylvania? I also had a problem with receiving social security payments. Back in May of 2016 there was an error made on the part of the social security office and our payment amounts were incorrect every month. I didn't know what we were going to receive until the payment was in the account. The error, as far as I know has been corrected with the one exception of the amount my husband received this month. It was suppose to be a little over $1800.00 but instead was a little over $1600.00 so I still am not sure if the error is fixed. If it is I don't know why his was reduced another $200. So with not knowing each month what we were receiving, not sure of what I go by to figure out what I have made so far this year, my company changing prices so that affects my commission, I am a nervous wreck. I need to know if I should contact my old employer and ask what I need to know from them and what should I ask them so they give me the right figure? If it turns out that I have gone over as far as Social Security is concerned do I have to pay back every cent that was given to me from January to present or just the difference. If I have to pay back do I still receive social security next year? Due to how my year has gone and if I go over does that mean I am penalized even though it was unintentional? 2017 will be strictly commission. Once I can figure what to put aside for taxes I hope to have a better handle on what I will make. But again if I go over I don't know if I can still collect for 2017 since my income will then be strictly commission unlike it has been this year. This is my first time having to deal with social security and everything that comes with it. Really don't know what to do here.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 11 months ago.


I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Expert:  annelew12554 replied 11 months ago.


Yes, there is a limit to what you can earn from your job and not have it affect your SS benefits (For 2016 the $ limit is $15,720) however you will NOT be in "big trouble" if you earn more than that $ amount.

Your benefits will simply be reduced by $1 for every $2 you earn above the limit of $15,720, and the adjustment will take place in 2017 for 2016. Please see below:

If you have found my answer helpful, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Expert:  annelew12554 replied 11 months ago.