Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My husband passed away Oct. 30th do I need to notify social

Customer Question

my husband passed away Oct. 30th do I need to notify social security. They had sent his Nov. check tony autoatic depost, they then withdrew the check on the 11th of Nov. Do my social security beni efits change
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Should I go to the local SS office and check with them, do I need to have his death certificate
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: o dont think so
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help here.

...

First I'm so sorry fo your loss.

...

Yes, Socal Security benefits are not paid for the month in which a worker dies, so the check recevied in November (which would have been for the month of october - SSA pays benefits one month in arrears) should HAVE been returned.

...

In terms of reporting the death ... you can do so. But many times if the funeral Home has the social security number they report the death

...

And regarding you benefits changing, you ARE entitled to s SURVIVORS benefit, but it will increase your benefit only of the survivor benefit is higher that your current benefit

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

So, again, Social Secuity Benefits cannot be "stacked," so to speak. But if a new benefit is higher than a current benefit, they will pay a combination of the two that takes you UP TO that current benefit.

...

THe survivor benefit is 100% of the deceased Spouse's benfit, so it MAY make sense for you to go into the local office and apply for the apousal benefit.

...

You can read more about how to aply here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/survivors/howtoapply.html

...

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have questions at all, before rating me.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

...
I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.