dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My wife an I both worked in the Us and have received SSS

Customer Question

My wife an I both worked in the Us and have received SSS cheques for 10 years or so . My wife passed away on Oct 14 this year. Am I entitled to survivor benefits of any kind. I received a cheque addressed to her today . Should i return it?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: no i don't think so
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane ... I can help here

...

First, to lay the foundation, it's important to understand that social security cannot be "stacked," so to speak. (One benefit cannot be added on top of another benefit to which we may become eligible)

...

However, Social Secufity DOES (by paying a combination of benefits) take ne up TO the higher of the two benefits.

...

The Social Security SURVIVORS enefit, for example can be as hig as 100% of the deceased spose's benefit if the Surviving spouse is age 66 or older.

...

So, if this benefit is higher than what you are currently receiving on your own record, you should apply for the spousal benefit to get this "raise."

...

And on your second question... whether you should return the check depends on the date of the check and the date of death. We do not get benefits paid for the month OF death. However, benefits are received one nmonth in arrears ... so if this check was dated for the 1st, or later, the check is for October benefits and, so sorry, should be returned.