annelew12554
annelew12554, Social Security
Experience:  I have extensive knowledge of the rules of Social Seeurity
5242771

I am applying for spousal benefits. My wife of 24 years died

Customer Question

I am applying for spousal benefits. My wife of 24 years died as a result of an auto
accident, 5/24/1994. We were married and living together at the time of her death. I applied
at Jacksonville social security office recently and had to send my marriage license back to
the individual handling my claim. My benefits were denied because it wasn't an official
copy. I went to the clerk of the court office and got an embossed copy. Will this be
sufficient to satisfy the ss office's demand that I was actually married to my wife at the time of her death? I do not have the original marriage license of 8/22/1970, 46 years and
10+ moves ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  annelew12554 replied 8 months ago.

Hi

I'm Anne & I've been preparing taxes for 28 years. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Hi Joseph

First, let me tell you that I am truly sorry for your loss.

Yes, the embossed copy, that has the seal on it, should be fine. Please see below for a list of documents that SSA accepts for Widower benefits:

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-10.html

If my answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Hi again Joseph

I see that you read my response but have not yet rated it. Do you have any follow up questions I can help you with?

Again, if my answer helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars, as this is the ONLY way that we are compensated.

Thank you again for choosing justanwswer.