How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12691
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a widow at age 61. My husband passed at 65 and was not

Customer Question

I'm a widow at age 61. My husband passed at 65 and was not eligible for social security. He was 2 points short to collect. Am I able as a widow of 61 yrs of age to receive my own social security under these circumstances?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I don't believe so.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.


I'm so sorry, you WILL be able to at age 62, but not quite yet.


If her were insured in the system then you would be able to take a survivor bemnefit at age 60 (reduced for taking before age 66)


But for your own retirement benefit the early claiming age is 62 (again so sorry to be the messenger)

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!


I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.