Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I turn 62 in February. When can I apply for SSA benefits? I

Customer Question

I turn 62 in February. When can I apply for SSA benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I just would like to know since I turn 62 in February, how far in advance should I apply?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: I have an yet to be scheduled appeal for disability, will this affect my retirement application?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

You should apply no more than three months before your 62nd birthday

...

And no the disability appeal or application will not affect the retirement benefit.

...

Normally one can never receive two benefits at the same time, but in THIS situation, one of the exceptions to receiving SSA retirement and SSA disability at the same time IS the early retirement scenario.

...

The one exception is if someone takes advantage of early, reduced retirement benefits, which can be done at age 62, and then is approved for disability benefits. This sometimes results in a person receiving both retirement and disability benefits for the same time period, but it never results in double benefits, just a combination of benefits to bring the person up to their full benefit amount.

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

If the disability is found to have started before the you begin receiving early retirement benefits, then you'll be eligible for retroactive payments equal to the difference between the full benefit amount and the amount you were receiving as an early retirement benefit, AND will receive your full benefit amount going forward.

...

Also, you'll receive the full retirement benefit amount upon reaching full retirement age, (because you should have been receiving disability benefits rather than taking early retirement.)

...

However, if the disability is found to have started after you began receiving early retirement benefits, then there are no retroactive benefits and no disability freeze.

...

(if a person was not working because he or she was disabled, then a disability freeze applies and the period with low or no earnings will not reduce the benefit amount.)

...

Instead, (again, talking a out the situation where disability is found to have started AFTER receiving early retirement benefits) during the period between when the disability began and full retirement age, you'll receive you full disability benefit amount (which may be reduced from what it was previously, due to a period of low or no earnings, since the disability freeze does not apply).

...

'Then upon reaching full retirement age, the retirement benefit amount will still be reduced based on the number of months the person received early retirement benefits.

...

So as you can see what's important is your date of disability.

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

If you think there's a chance that for some reason your dat eof disability would be AFTER your 62nd birthday, then you will have have reduced your retirement benefits (by 25% for retiring prior to full retirement age) forever, if the disability is denied.

...

If that's NOT a concern, there there's NO reason not to apply at 62 for retirement benefits.

...

Please let me know if you have questions at all, before rating me.Please let me know if you have ANY question at ALL, before rating me.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

...

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.