How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 54 years old. i am diabetic, some heart problems,

Customer Question

i am 54 years old. i am diabetic , some heart problems, kidney prlbems and several other things going on. i take about 12 pills a day and three ty pe of insulin. there are times the pain in body is bad. i am unable to work and im at the doctors or clinic more than the doctors themselves. the medical file on me is very very large. I am attempting to get diability so i can go on . i have medical appointments this week again and now must travel to see a ENT speicalist for something they found in my head near inner ear. How can i go about getting disablity. i did get paper work in mail saying i would qualify for 1,042 a month
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: i have two children that are age 11 and 7 that do not live with me but with there mother. WE were never married and wre together for 23 years
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Question: "How can i go about getting disability."

Answer: It is suggested that you retain an attorney who practices in the area, and under that professional's guidance, to move forward.

The social security disability is relatively hard to apply. It is a sort of long-term disability insurance policy for the participants who qualify. It requires the beneficiary (qualified recipient) has been totally disabled for one year and due to the disability not being able to have earned income.

It is not to say that you cannot apply by yourself. But there are so many requirements and standards and requirements. This is not a self-reporting procedure. Also, if a person is denied, it is much harder to go through the appeal process to get approval. So, it is best if you could interview several attorneys and get some referrals for trustworthy ones and go from there. In your situation, you also have children to consider. Therefore, it best to retain a professional attorney to help you.

You can initiate the application on line or by phone, etc. But it is best you don't initiate the process until you talk with several professional attorneys and know what the entire process and requirements are.

Question: "i have two children that are age 11 and 7 that do not live with me but with there mother."

Answer: Your children may also qualify for the benefit, if you are qualified. As to their mother, you may want to try to apply and see what the determination will be.

The citations below and website links with this posting are for your further reference.

Please feel free to follow up.



Fiona Chen, MPA, PH.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

When you start receiving disability benefits, certain members of your family also may qualify for benefits on your record. Benefits may be paid to your: