How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just became aware that I have not had withholding taxes

Customer Question

I just became aware that I have not had withholding taxes deducted from my social security check Last year I paid $1700 when I had my taxes done, however the tax preparer did not advise me, I did not have a chance to discover what was wrong due to health problems. I would like to rectify this. I know I will have a high amount of money for this year; however I would like to take care of this now and have the deductions made for the November and December months now with it ongoing in the future. The federal amount would be $96. and the state would be $27,20.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

The best way is to visit a local social security administration office and make inquiry with a representative face to face. Usually, the tax withheld is only for the federal tax. You may request 5%, 10% or 20% withheld for example.

As to the IRS or state tax for 2016, you can ask your tax return preparer to prepare you estimated tax vouchers to pay the IRS and the State. Then, you can send in check with the estimated tax payment vouchers for 2016. The tax return preparer may or may not charge a small service fee. But you will be doing this correctly for this year.

Please feel free to follow up.



Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP