Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
72280797

There is an elderly man in his seventies. He needs a Picture

Customer Question

There is an elderly man in his seventies. He needs a Picture I.D. to remain in his apartment. When he attempted to go to the DE Dept of Motor Vehicles, he is asked for a copy of his social security card. He does not have it. He was robbed several months ago, and does not have one. When he attempts to go to the Dept of MV in DE, the person there demands his social security card. "It is like a Catch 22!" What can this elderly gentleman do?
JA: The retirement accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the retirement accountant should know?
Customer: My question has NOT been answered. My wife and I are trying to help the gentleman. How can obtain a social security card without I. D. The man knows his ss#. and he can recite it.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 11 months ago.

Dear Customer,

The gentleman is on the SS retirement and medicare, and the SSA has his full records. He needs to start with the SSA to ask for a replacement card and the SSA has a procedure to do so.

https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/kbanswer.asp?QuestionID=3755

https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

A state ID card is only one of the document type can prove who he is to the SSA. The process may seem long, but it is not impossible. See the website link above.

Also, for each state's MVD, there is a long list of what type of documents one can use to get the state ID card. Not everyone has a social security number. Nowadays, even illegal residents can get state ID cards. The state has his full information and even his facial photo picture. They just need to verify he is the one in their system. Find out that list from your state. For example, the State of Florida has like 30 or more document types for residents to use. A utility bill in the resident's name is ***** ***** the documents allowed in the State of Nevada as well as many if not every state.

The housing authority (the landlord) suddenly requires him to have a state ID for him to stay or move out is an alarming issue. Nowadays, people go to court for even asking for voters to show an ID. Didn't they have his ID information for him to move in? Why this sudden request again.

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP

Dear Customer,

Enclosed is the document list allowed (required) by the DE Department of Motor Vehicle on the state ID renew application.

Regards,

Fiona

http://www.dmv.de.gov/documentguide/index.shtml

Proof of Identity - ID Card Renewal

Please select which document you will bring to DMV as your proof of identity.

Certificate of birth (U.S. issued). Must be original or certified copy, have a raised seal and be issued by the Office of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health

Consular report of birth abroad

Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N570m or N-578)

Certificate of Citizenship (N-560, N-561, or N-645)

Northern Marina Card (I-551)

American Indian Card (I-551)

U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179 or I-197)

Valid passport, U.S. If foreign, appropriate INS document also is required

Resident Alien Card (I-515, I-551, AR-3, or AR-103)

Temporary Resident Identification Card (K-688)

Non-Resident Alien Canadian Border Crossing Card (I-185 or I-586)

Record of Arrival and Departure (in a valid Foreign Passport)(I-94 or I-94W visa waiver program)

Record of Arrival and Departure w/attached photo stamped Temporary Proof of Lawful Permanent Resident(I-94)

Processed for I-551 stamp (in a valid Foreign Passport)

Permanent Resident Re-Entry Permit (I-327)

Refugee Travel Document (I-571)

Employment Authorization Card (I-688A, I-688B, I-766)

Canadian Immigration Record and Visa or Record of Landing (IMM 1000)

Federally Compliant State issued photo driver license

Federally Compliant State/Province/Territory issued photo ID card

Court order. Must contain full name, date of birth and court seal. Examples include: adoption document, name change document, gender document, etc. Does not include abstract of criminal or civil conviction

Delaware issued photo driver license

Non-Delaware issued photo driver license

Delaware issued photo ID card

Non-Delaware (State/Province/Territory) issued photo ID card

Certified microfilm or copy of driver license or ID card

Official letter issued by vital statistics verifying full name and date of birth

Certified school records or transcripts verifying full name and date of birth