How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Fiona Chen Your Own Question
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 482
Experience:  Former IRS Revenue Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Dr. Fiona Chen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son applied for disability for mental illness, he was

Customer Question

My son applied for disability for mental illness, he was denied what do we do next?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: He has depression, mild bi polar and can't keep a job more than a month or two. He has seen a number of pychiatrist and been put on medication we cannot afford, but even when he was on meds he still can't cope with people.
JA: Is there anything else the retirement accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I am also on disability for Parkinson disease so we are in a crisis situation trying to life off of my small check each month.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Dr. Fiona Chen replied 10 months ago.

Dear Customer,

There are many ways to look for help.

Part I.

The social security disability help is one of the channels and is relatively narrow. It is for long-term disability which means the person has to be totally disabled and cannot work due to the illness for more than one year. Therefore, after one full years, your son may want to consider retain an attorney practicing in the area (they are on contingency payment) to re-apply.

In the meantime, he may qualify for social security supplemental income and he may qualify for Medicaid, etc. to help with his medical expenses.

"Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a Federal income supplement program funded by general tax revenues (not Social Security taxes): It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter."

Part II.

You may want to start with your county's Medicaid's office, call your county's Department of Family Health Services. Find a social worker to consult. If you recently went to a hospital, hospitals have social workers on site and can help at least direct you to the right places.

Once you and/or he qualify for Medicaid, food stamp, utility, and housing help can come, too. Be patient and continue to look for alternatives.

Below website links can help you start. The medicaid and long-term care services are both governmental websites and programs.



Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP