LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

033481392, I have been on social security for 5 or 6 years.

Customer Question

JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I have been on social security for 5 or 6 years. I have several diseases that cannot be cured only controlled. A week ago I started driving for Uber. I thought it was the perfect part time job I could do because I can't work full time. But my medical bills and paying for part of my fathers funeral and 4 thousand in dental bills over my head I thought this would help. Not to mention with all the health issues i have I have to go to 8 different specialists at 45 a copay which is outside my budget. I thought this type of job would be good because on a good day all I need to do is log on and I will get a rider. I was a little gung ho about the first week or so but today and yesterday my arthritis in my knees can only take so much driving and I have have IBS along with cardiac issues. However, yesterday I realized that I had to contact SS to find out how much i can earn with violating the rules of disability.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: it's really disability. I am 58 now and I am on SSDI.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

It seems like your question is how much can you earn while receiving social security disability and not interfere with your ongoing monthly benefits. because you are self employed, the answer is not all that simply to state. Let me explain.

If you are self-employed, the SSA recognizes that your net profit isn’t necessarily a good indicator of whether you’re doing substantial gainful activity (SGA). Instead the SSA will apply what they call “The Three Tests” to determine if your work activity is SGA. Your work will be considered SGA if you perform work that:

• provides significant services to the business and brings in $1,090 or more in average monthly income
  • is comparable to the work of persons without disability in your community engaged in the same or similar businesses, or
  • is worth $1,090 per month in terms of its effect on the business or what it saves you from having to pay an employee to do the work.

If you were an employee, you could safely earn as much as $810 per month and not be at risk.

So the bot***** *****ne here for you is, in order to stay on the safe side, if you keep your monthly earnings below about $820 per month you will be okay. The real issue here is that the work that you do for Uber is essentially the same that anyone else does and if you earn too much money you will lose your SSDI benefits. It would also be a very wise thing to keep the hours that you drive for Uber down to something less than about 40 or 50 hours per month.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug