Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

How do I remove my payee status? I no longer want to be

Customer Question

how do I remove my payee status?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I no longer want to be payee for my ward because of my age.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: The ward is my step-daughter's daughter. I am her guardian/payee and she is 30 years old. She no longer lives with me . She is staying with friends. I have no location on her. I have a place for her to reside, a caregiver group home. She can not reside with me because of mistrust. She is in hiding because she don't want to enter the group home.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Hi. My name's Lane. I can help here.

...

You can START the process by calling the main number 1-***-***-****.

...

But likely what you'll need to to is speak with someone at the local field office. (The phone rep can make an appointment for you there).

...

They are typically helpful if you have someone else (especially an institutional payee) lined up.

..

I wold speak to the group home. They may already be doing this for some.

...

here's a locator where you can find local offices by zip code: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

In the case of the group home being payee, SSA calls this an "Organizational Payee."

...

Here's the guide for that. You may wish to show this to the folks at the group home:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/payee/NewGuide/toc.htm

Expert:  Lane replied 8 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

I have a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.