How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 65 and think about retiring, but I receive a rent check

Customer Question

I am 65 and think about retiring, but I receive a rent check from some land I own. Will this affect my social security?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: The amount that I receive is 48000.00per year rent.
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I can assure you that the rent check that you are receiving will in no way effect your eligibility to collect an early socials security benefit. Rent checks are deemed passive income and have no effect on social security retirement benefits.

Only income that you actually earn from employment while you are receiving an early retirement benefit have an impact on your benefits. And after you reach 66 you can earn unlimited wages and it will not impact your benefit.

So, even at age 65 you are able to apply for your social security retirement benefit and your collection of a rent check from property that you rent out will have no effect on your social security benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,