Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

My house is up for sale .. AND LIVING IN IT.. SSDI HAS

Customer Question

My house is up for sale .. AND I AM NOT LIVING IN IT.. SSDI HAS STOPPED AND THEY WANT ME TO MOVE BACK INTO IT... FOR BACK CARE I AM LIVING DOWN IN SOUTHERN CA. CAN I QUIT CLAIM DEED IT TIL IT SELLS TO MY SON AND GET A NEW MAILING ADDRESS DOWN HERE AND RESTART MY SSDI AGAIN??
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you sure that you don't mean SSI? SSDI is social security disability and under no circumstance would you be told that you must move back to your home if you are receiving SSDI.

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I ORIGINALLY HAD DISABILITY FROM A CAR ACCIDENT 20 YEARS AGO.. WHEN I TURNED 65 THEY BLENDED WITH SOCIAL SECURITY ... I WANT TO LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.. AND HAVE CHANGED MAIL ADDRESS TO HERE.. THEY ARE SAYING I HAVE TO MOVE BACK TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.. THEY ALSO SAY I CAN NOT GET DISABILITY BECAUSE I ONLY HAVE 38 CREDITS AND CAN NOT HAVE SOCIAL SECURITY CAUSE I ONLY HAVE 38 CREDITS.. THEY DO MENTION AGAIN AND AGAIN TO MOVE BACK TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. I AM HERE BECAUSE MY BACK ISSUE IS TREATED BETTER HERE, I AM IMPROVING, REDUCED MY PAIN LEVEL AND HAVE BEEN MOVING BETTER HERE.. SORRY CAPS IS LOCKED
Expert:  LawTalk replied 11 months ago.

I am unable to further assist you in this matter, and I am going to opt out of your question and open this up for other professionals.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.

Doug

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OKAY I LOOKED AT PAPERWORK AND IT IS CALLED SSI.. EVEN THOU IT WAS DISABILITY ORIGINALLY SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION.. SO YES IT IS SSI
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hi... It looks as if your previous expert has opted out.

...

My name's Lane. I can help you here.

...

Yes, the main difference between Social Security Disability ( SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is the fact that SSD is available to workers who have accumulated a sufficient number of work credits

...

SSI disability benefits are available to low-income individuals who have either never worked or who haven't earned enough work credits to qualify for SSDI

...

And yes, quit-claiming the home (rathe than selling it) will not jeopardize your SSI. But becasue SSI is MEANS TEST(where SSDI is not) ANY inflow of cash, help in paying for food clothing and shelter, proceeds of a sale, etc. will stop the SSI for the perid of time that the inflow of support would have covered.

...

Even In–Kind Income (food or shelter that you get for free or less than its fair market value) will reduce SSI.

...

here's an excellent overview of this from Social Security:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-income-ussi.htm

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any questions at all, before you rate me

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit").

...

Thanks!

Lane

I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986