dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My monthly check was reduced from $2335 to $2092...why would

Customer Question

my monthly check was reduced from $2335 to $2092...why would they do this?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am 66 years old and signed up for SS recently. They asked if I wanted to start it at 65 and I said: "yes". The first check was 'retro back' to compensate. then I tried to sign up for Medicare Part B and that was when they reduced the amount of my monthly check.
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: They said that I was unable to get Medicare Part B until the Open Enrollment" period. By the way, the reason I was signing up for SS to begin with was that I had been fired in July, 2016 from my job of 24 years for a safety violation.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer -

They did not reduce your social security benefit. What happened is that they are now deducting your Medicare Part B. The premium is based on your income in 2014. From the information you have provided, your Medicare Part B Premium is $243 (See first link below). This would imply that if single, your income in 2014 was between $107K and $160K. You can contact the Social Security Administration and potentially get the premium reduced by filing Form SSA-44. 2nd link below.

Hope this helps.

Steve

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/part-b-costs/part-b-costs.html

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-44.pdf