Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I am about to turn 80 years old ( pains me to admit ). I

Customer Question

I am about to turn 80 years old ( pains me to admit ). I have been a widow since 2004 . I took my own allotment since higher than my husbands. At this time I receive $711.00 a month after Medicare is subtracted. It's obvise I can't survive on this. I have a house which I pay taxes plus insurance. Apartments in my area go for around $1,000 a month. No help there. Sorry to take so mugh of your time but need to know if I have any options I'm not awear of....thank you...
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

You need to apply for Supplemental Security Income {"SSI"). This is a joint program of the Social Security Administration and your state's department of transitional assistance/welfare office for the disabled or the elderly who have limited income and resources. If you are approved, you would receive two payments, one from the federal government and the other from the state government. You can apply for the program on the phone with Social Security Administration or go to the local office of Social Security Administration to apply. For more information, click here.

In addition, you should apply for fuel assistance with your State's department of transitional assistance or welfare.

Finally, you can get help with your prescription drugs from Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Click here for more information.

Best wishes,