How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7119
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to apply for disability when already collecting soc.

Customer Question

how to apply for disability when already collecting soc. sec
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: i am 81 yrs. old long time carpenter i have neuropathy in both feet so my employability is not an option i am having a tough time paying basic needs with disab. rating i would be able to qualify for grants
JA: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: 3 yrs. ago i put a reverse mort. on my home as i could not keep up with monthly expenses i am constantly selling off tools/ machines to stay aflloat
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Expert:  keeperumiami replied 9 months ago.

I'm afraid as far as Social Security is concerned, all Social Security Disability Income/Status automatically changes to Retirement Income when you reach Full Retirement Age which you did at age 65, given your current age.

However, if you have continued working, and are not now able to do so, you certainly can be classified as Disabled for the purpose of any grant applications that you may be eligible for. You will simply need to obtain a letter from your physician indicating that you are no longer able to work based upon your physical condition and what your medical diagnosis is and that it is expected to last for 1 year or more and that it is unlikely that it will improve to the point that you will be able to resume full-time employment.

I'm not sure exactly what grants you are referring to, but most are now based upon financial need rather than disability, so it sounds like you will qualify both from a disability standpoint as well as because of your financial need.

I can sympathize with the neuropathy as I too suffer from that problem cause by back issues, and it is no fun to deal with that on a daily basis.

Steve G.