How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19472
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My lifelong friend has reached Full Benefit age for SS, but

Customer Question

My lifelong friend has reached Full Benefit age for SS, but is afraid to file for benefits, because he has not filed Income Tax returns for the last 20+ years. Employers have taken out the the standard amount of taxes, but he is still afraid to file for benefits. He is still working - single
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Your friend's non-filing of tax returns would not affect his eligibility of benefits if he has worked not enough to be eligible for benefits. So, he should go ahead and apply for benefits. He would receive a notice from SSA whether his application has been approved or not. Click here for the application process.