How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I turn 66 on December 20, a friend of mine is turning 66 on

Customer Question

I turn 66 on December 20, a friend of mine is turning 66 on November 7. She was back paid her payments from the first of the year, is that correct. She says it is the year, not necessarily the month.
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: Do you need my name?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

No that is not correct. You can get retroactive payments for retirement but only six months and only back to teh day of your 66 birthday. If you are talking about something other than retirement benefits, let me know as each benefit is different. See link from SSA from the regulations:

"For RIB (retirement insurance benefits) applications filed after FRA (full retirement age which is age 66 for you), we allow up to six months retroactivity. However, for those who file less than six months after FRA, we only pay retroactive benefits back to the month of FRA attainment." So you can get up to 6 months of back pay up to the date of your 66th birthday. SSA does not allow retroactively before full retirement age.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Related Social Security Questions