How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15733
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was deported to New Zealand in 2011 i had worked for 40

Customer Question

I was deported to New Zealand in 2011 i had worked for 40 yrs in the united states and contributed to social security that whole time,New Zealand does not have a reciprocating agreement with the U S on retirement.I filed for my retirement benefits in November 20
12 and completed all the steps including verification of ID by the consulate here in New Zealand.However because of my visa status I am unable to return for the 30 day stay in the US in order to have my benefits paid to me.I know my visa situation is of my own doing but my wife is only on a small retirement benefit and could use the funds from mine.Is there a way to get these benefits released any help on this would be greatly appreciated and definitely needed.Regards,Samuel Wolfgramm
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, Title II dependent or survivor benefits on a removed Number Holder's (NH) record cannot be paid under the removal provisions for any month in which the following conditions are met:

  1. The NH's benefits are suspended under section 202(n) or section 223 of the Act (or would have been suspended had the NH been alive); and

  2. The dependent or survivor is an alien; and

  3. The dependent or survivor was outside the United States at any time during the month--even if the absence was only for part of a day.

SSA would make the determination based on her own record and none of your history would be allowed to her.