How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 12705
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received paperwork and information for my Deceased Father

Customer Question

I received paperwork and information for my Deceased Father Family of Joe T. Williams stating deceased was due social security payments at time of death. I filled out all the paperwork SSA-1724 form with Death Certificate, Lawyers information, letters of Testamentary; probate information for the Estate of ***** ***** Williams. I mailed the information August 5th, 2016 and still have not received any information back from:
Birmingham Social Security Center
1200 Rev. Abraham Woods, Jr. Blvd.
Birmingham, Alabama ###-##-####
Date: May 22, 2016
Claim Number###-##-####
How can I follow up?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi kellye. My name's Lane.


Processing has been atrocious at Social Security for several years now (since the government cutbacks started in 2008)


90 days for an item like this is not atypical.


You really only have two ways to check;


(1) Call the call center (have the claim number handy) and ask about the status. They are there from 7:00 to 7:00 for all time zones. (My client tell me that curling up with a good book and calling early on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, is your best bet for getting through without ah hour wait time.


US Social Security Administration

1200 Reverend Abraham Woods Jr Blvd

(###) ###-####/p>


(2) Walk into a local Field office, again, claim number and other documentation in hand, and ask to speak with someone about the claim


here's an office locator that lets you use your zip code to file the closest office:


And , I'm so sorry, but calling the main number ((800)(###) ###-#### to set an appointment may be better than going in, only to come away with an appolintment for another day (given what my firm is hearing these days) Some offices are worse than others)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

I hope you’ll rate me (using those stars, or faces on your screen, by clicking submit) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news / bad news content. Otherwise I’ll receive no compensation for the work here at all, from JustAnswer.

Thank you!


I have a law degree, (Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in financial accounting & tax, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.